HOME WHO WE ARE VISIT US GEN. LONGSTREET THE HOUSE GEN. KERSHAW BETHESDA CHURCH DONATIONS BATTLES LINKS

The House….

Dr. Carroll Van West, director of the Tennessee National Civil War Heritage Area at the Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee and his staff and done an in depth study of the Nenney Family homestead that General Longstreet used as his headquarters. They determined the house was constructed in two stages. The original section was built in the 1820’s and the second section was added in the 1840’s.

The house is an elegant vernacular I-house frame dwelling, and is an excellent example of an early 19th century home in the region.

The original section of the house has two rooms and is 1 ˝ story. There are in-closed steps to a small un-furnished loft area, which was used as sleeping quarters. One room has original hand constructed shelves. A porch extends the full length of the section.
The second section contains four large rooms of equal size. Two rooms are located on the main level, and two rooms are upstairs. All four rooms have high ceilings and a fireplace. The house has weatherboard siding. The house was remodeled in the 1980’s. It has central heat and air, bathrooms, electricity and utility water. The front porch was enlarged, and the original Italian trim was removed. (The trim was stored, and the house will be reverted to it’s original appearance at a later date. See the 1880 photograph of the house). This section contains some of the original floors, plaster and wanes coating.

Friends of General James Longstreet Headquarters Museum have installed a new roof and have leveled the foundation. New underground electrical service has been completed, and the water lines and plumbing have been repaired or replaced as needed. Friends of Longstreet are in the process of restoring the interior of the house to the 1860’s era.

A modern two-story garage is located on the rear of the property. The upstairs of the garage is being developed into a two-bedroom apartment for a caretaker of the property. The main level will contain an office, gift shop and restroom facilities for visitors.

General Joseph Kershaw, commander of a Longstreet brigade resided with the Taylor Green family while in winter camp at Russellville. The Green plantation is about a half mile (as the crow flies) from Longstreet’s headquarters. Mr. Green had an office building beside the family home, which General Kershaw used as his Civil War headquarters office.

In recent years, the Green plantation was developed into an industrial park and the family home was demolished. The office building was moved to another location. LCWPA has obtained this historic structure and it has been moved to General Longstreet’s headquarters, where it is being developed into an 1863 Civil War office.
 
A Tennessee Historical Marker and a Tennessee Civil War Trails sign are located in the front and side yards.

Friends of General Longstreet Headquarters Museum cannot do it alone. Your help and donations are need to continue the development of the Longstreet Headquarters museum and support the teaching and preservation of our heritage.

Click Here To Make A Donation and Help Preserve Our History
 
HOME WHO WE ARE VISIT US GEN. LONGSTREET THE HOUSE GEN. KERSHAW BETHESDA CHURCH DONATIONS BATTLES